Guide written by:
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter
If you're only planning on assembling five pieces of furniture in the space of a year, then an entry-level 3.6 V electric screwdriver with at least 1 Ah and 3 Nm will do the job. Choose a compact, lightweight model for ease of use and comfort.
If you plan on assembling a number of pieces of furniture every week, then go for a well-known brand and choose a model with high voltage and Ah ratings. Go for 3.6 to 4 V and a tightening torque of 5 Nm if you don't require much tightening force, and 7.2 V and at least 10-15 Nm for higher tightening force. Bear in mind, however, that in the latter case, a professional drill driver is probably better suited to your needs. 1.5 Ah is the minimum recommended battery capacity (most common value). This will ensure you can work for longer and will give your electric screwdriver higher tightening force and a bit more pep!
It's worth noting that the proportion of titanium varies between manufacturers – which affects the quality of the bit – and that diamond bits have better grip. For professional use, select screwdriver bits according to defined standards. Find out more about screwdriver bits.
If you only want a tool for assembling furniture and don't require much tightening force, then an electric screwdriver is what you need!Small and compact, these tools allow for precise fastening and can even be used in tight corners, such as inside drawers. If you're moving house and have half a dozen items of Swedish furniture to assemble, break open the piggy bank and invest in this mini hand-held power tool! Don't bother with a drill driver or combi-drill in this case: the weight and features of these tools are not designed for this type of job.
If we haven't convinced you yet, here are some more advantages offered by electric screwdrivers:
Choosing the right electric screwdriver is simple. Just focus on the following criteria and you won't go wrong!
90% of electric screwdrivers have a voltage of 3.6 V, so that should make your job easier when deciding on what model to buy (the remaining 10% range from 4 to 7 Volts).
Between 200 and 600 rpm without load, the rotation speed of an electric screwdriver is a carefully calculated balance between voltage and reduction ratio.
In short, the ampere hour (Ah) rating of your electric screwdriver will have a direct impact on the tool's battery life. The higher the rating, the longer the battery will last.
Most electric screwdrivers have lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. This type of battery is quick to recharge, lightweight and has no memory effect. Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd)batteries, which are large, heavy and do exhibit a memory effect, are rarely used for electric screwdrivers. All batteries must be recharged using an appropriate charging device.
Put simply, torque is the tightening force: the higher the value, the higher the tightening force.Torque is expressed in Newton metres (Nm). Most electric screwdrivers have torque values ranging from 3 to 5 Nm, with some top-of-the-range models offering up to 20 Nm. Impact drivers (hand-held power tools which are somewhere between an electric screwdriver and a drill/combi-drill) have torque values of 30 Nm or even higher.A higher torque will make the screwdriver easier to use and allows you to drive screws into even the hardest of surfaces!You can adjust the torque of electric screwdrivers to adapt the tightening force to the material you are working with.
Electric screwdrivers can offer other useful features and/or options, such as:
If you need more than that, look for a drill driver instead.
As for all power tools, choosing a brand-name tool means you have the assurance of good after-sales support.Most manufacturers also offer a 1- to 2-year warranty.
Guide written by:
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter, 221 guides
Redo a roof with wooden beams? Check.Advise Mister everybody in the DIY shop? Check.Redo the bathroom plumbing? Check.Fit together, build the walls, paint a partition, throw my hammer in a rage thinking that it will fix the problem? Check. The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job! What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!
Loads more than in a shop, and without needing to navigate all the aisles
Whichever suits you best
Like Macgyver but online