Ride-on mowers and garden tractors : make the right choice
Ride-on mowers and garden tractors can be used to mow an expansive lawn in no time at all. Equipped with a 4-stroke engine, these machines are designed to be steered around like a mini tractor for ultimate user comfort.
Garden tractors offer a range of advantages:
- they are the best option available for mowing lawns stretching over 6,000 m²;
- they are very comfortable to use – you simply have to sit on the seat and turn the steering wheel;
- they can be equipped with headlights for late night gardening.
Ride-on mowers offer a few characteristics to get to grips with:
- they are generally equipped with a 190 to 500 cc four-stroke engine;
- cutting height varies from 31 to 91 mm;
- cutting width ranges from 66 to 102 cm;
- the cutting deck can be located under the seat or towards the front of the mower;
- these mowers are usually equipped with electric start;
- they have three or four forward gears and one reverse gear.
When choosing a garden tractor, look out for the following features:
- a grass box to collect the grass clippings;
- a mulching mode so you don't have to pick up the clippings;
- additional comfort-enhancing features such as a drinks holder.
To ensure your ride-on mower works as expected, carry out the following maintenance tasks on a regular basis:
- replace the engine oil;
- clean the air filter;
- clean the spark plug;
- clean the cutting deck and blades after each use;
- sharpen the blades;
- lubricate the control cables;
- carry out a thorough clean annually before storing for winter.
Garden tractors are comfortable to use and make mowing large areas much simpler. However, bear in mind that they do require careful maintenance.