A parasol is a must-have accessory if you want to take full advantage of your garden or terrace while protecting yourself from UV rays and rain showers. Parasols can also be used to add character to an outdoor space.
The shape of a parasol is determined by how it will be used.
- A square shape is preferable if the parasol will be set up along the length of a wall or in a corner.
- A round parasol is better suited to use with a round table or in a small space.
- A rectangular parasol is often used to cover a larger area. These models can be used to provide shade over a garden lounge set or sun lounger.
Parasols are often categorised by their pole type.
- Straight: this type of parasol has a fixed straight pole. Usually, these parasols will be inserted into a hole in the middle of a table; however, they can also be placed to the side. Straight parasols come in a range of different shapes and sizes.
- Tilting: these parasols look just like straight models, but are equipped with a tilt and swivel mechanism to target the area you want to cover more efficiently. A round, white and green striped model is the classic version of these models.
- Cantilever: the most recent type of parasol to hit the market. Thanks to their design and offset pole, these parasols can be placed to the side of a table so as not to disturb your guests. The large size of these parasols allow them to cover a wide area.
The type of opening system will differ depending on the parasol you choose.
- Push-up: this system is similar to the opening system used in classic umbrellas. It is often used for entry-level straight parasols.
- Crank handle: this easy opening system is used for both straight and cantilever models. This system is essential for opening up large canopies with ease.
- Pulley: less attractive than the other options, this system has the advantage of being easier to maintain.
A plastic, wooden or resin weighted base will be perfect for a small parasol. Cantilever or extra-large rectangular parasols will require a granite, cast iron or concrete base.