Pergolas : make the right choice
Designed for garden installation, pergolas are primarily used for decorative purposes. They can also provide shade for an outdoor living space, a walkway or a relaxation area.
Pergolas differ in terms of the material used to make them.
- Wood provides your structure with a natural and warm look. A range of species is available, including treated pine, black locust or exotic woods. The wood used to make the pergola must be treated, heat-treated or naturally rot-proof in order to stand up to the elements. Wooden pergolas will require a solid concrete base.
- Wrought iron provides a touch of elegance to your outdoor space. Models made of this material must be fixed to the wall and floor.
- Aluminium is renowned for its light weight, moisture resistance and durability.
- Powder-coated steel has the advantage of being lightweight and corrosion-resistant (although you will have to take care to avoid scratches). It can offer a touch of modernity to the structure and your garden décor overall.
Pergolas should be chosen according to the style you're after.
- A square or rectangular wooden model surrounded by exotic plants or bamboo will be ideal for a Japanese-style garden.
- A square or rectangular model made of aluminium or stainless steel and equipped with a movable roof made of brightly coloured canvas will add a contemporary edge to your outdoor space.
- For a classic English country garden theme, choose a rounded or hexagonal model made of wrought iron. It is also possible to cover your pergola with a climbing plant, such as a vine, to add a touch of elegance to your garden.
Various decorative items can be used to draw attention to a pergola.
- Plants and flowers provide colour and life.
- Furniture, such as garden lounge sets, are handy for maximising comfort. This will transform your pergola into a living space in its own right.
- Lamps, candles or LED lamps are decorative items that also serve the practical function of lighting up your space.
The primary purpose of a pergola is to give character to the space surrounding your home. Your choice will, therefore, depend primarily on the result you're after.